Octomore 7 years old Virgin Oak, Edition: 07.4 (167 ppm) / 61,2% – Octomore whisky has been produced at Bruichladdich Distillery since 2002. It is the world’s most heavily peated whisky with phenols content in malt varies from batch to batch from 80 to over 250 ppm. Octomore Edition 07.4 Virgin Oak was produced using barley malted to phenol specification of 167 ppm. Although named Virgin Oak only 25% of the content was aged solely in virgin oak casks, whilst remaining 75% spent 3 years in first fill bourbon casks, followed by 2 years in virgin oak casks and then 2 more years in first fill bourbon casks. Only 12000 bottles were produced.
Nose: heavy peat smoke masterfully balanced with strong oaky notes, apples, raisins, apricots, vanilla, coconut, pine needles, hints of cloves and cinnamon.
Palate: lots of peat smoke and toasted oak, caramel, vanilla, honey, coconut flakes, lemon peel, dash of pepper, cinnamon and cloves.
Finish: long and balanced, apricots, apples, licorice, vanilla and toasted oak, all wrapped in peat smoke.